Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tasmanian Ponting quits skipper ship

Ricky Ponting on Tuesday stepped down as Australia's captain from Test and one day cricket teams in the wake of the team's shocking quarter-final exit from the ongoing World Cup, but will be available for selection as a batsman in both the format. "I've had no tap on the shoulder from anyone. This is a decision wholly and solely from me. I thought the timing was spot on," Ponting said at a press conference in Sydney."All that being said, I've made it very clear to selectors that I'm available (to keep playing Test and one-day cricket for Australia)," he added.Deputy Michael Clarke is expected to replace Ponting as skipper of the Australian Test and one-day teams.The 36-year-old Tasmanian denied that he was forced to take the decision."I'll have the opportunity over the next couple of days to reflect on where things are headed for me and certainly what direction I feel things are heading for the betterment of Australian cricket," Ponting said. "I am very proud of what I've been able to do as a leader of the Australian cricket team and I have never ever taken any opportunity or any day for granted as the captain. "It's a very prestigious job and one that comes with a lot of scrutiny and a lot of pressure but that is all part of being a leader in any walk of life," he said.Every decision I've ever made was always with Cricket Australia's thoughts at the front of my mind - it's always been about putting the team before me," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

India beat Sri Lanka 7 wickets in Indore India beat Sri Lanka by seven wickets in Indore. Virat Kohli hit an unbeaten 30 as  India   ...